As a part of the evaluation process of the Finnish Environment Institute (SYKE) a series of meetings were conducted in Helsinki to provide the international evaluation panel an insight of Finnish environmental policy and research.
The international evaluation panel, chaired by Dr. Rik Leemans, The Netherlands, visited Finland 23-28 November. Gaia team led by Dr. Mari Hjelt provided background information and expert services to the panel, and joined the panel in meetings and interviews with some 100 people.
The overall purpose of the evaluation is to assess and provide information on how and to what extent SYKE fulfills its tasks and duties and how well SYKE is prepared to meet future challenges in the environmental sector and also in the changing operational environment.
Despite of the heavy snow storms and the collapse of the Helsinki taxi call center on Wednesday, the week was success and the panel felt confident that they have good information to make solid conclusions. The evaluation report is expected to be ready early next year.
Dr. Mari Hjelt and Dr. Rik Leemans (Photo: SYKE)
Members of the evaluation panel:
- Dr. Rik Leemans, Environmental Systems Analysis Group, Environmental Sciences, Wageningen University & Research, The Netherlands
- Dr. LeenHordijk, Director, Insititute for Environment and Sustainability, Joint Research Centre, ISPRA, Italy
- Dr. Milena Horvat, Head of the Department of Environmental Studies, JSI in Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Dr. Thomas B. Johansson, International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
- Dr. Pieter Leroy, Political Sciences of the Environment, Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Ms Kaja Peterson, Programme director, Stockholm Environmentla Institute Tallinn Centre (SEI Tallinn), Estonia
- Mari Hjelt, +358 40 823 6991, email@example.com